‘No different approach’ in Barcelona win – Rosberg

Nico Rosberg says he did not change his approach ahead of last weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix that saw him defeat Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton to secure his first win of the season.

The initial four flyaway races had been something of a mixed bag for the 2014 championship runner up. Although Rosberg had enjoyed a 100% podium-finish record, the German was yet to outqualify and outrace Hamilton.

Already 27 points adrift of the reigning champion, Rosberg knew he had to bounce back if he were to maintain his 2015 title hopes alive. But this did not mean the 29-year-old entered the Barcelona weekend with the same mindset.

“There was no different approach,” Rosberg said.

“Of course, I’m always modifying, always trying to optimise my approach, making small changes here and there, but fundamentally everything was the same.”

Rosberg’s quiet start to his campaign led some to think that he was crumbling under pressure, as highlighted by his post-Chinese Grand Prix outburst during the FIA press conference.

While he admits Lewis’ dominance was not a pleasant feeling, Rosberg claims he has always kept faith in his ability to turn things around.

“Of course, it’s a positive boost,” he replied when asked if winning at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya was crucial for his confidence. “It’s better than the opposite, for sure.

“It’s difficult when Lewis wins in a consecutive manner like he did, but I’m fully confident in my abilities and my approach, so I did believe the win was going to come very soon.

“In Spain it did. Everything came together, and it hadn’t come together until now, so the weekend was awesome.”

Click here for Sunday's gallery from the Spanish Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

3 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

4 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

5 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

7 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

7 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

8 hours ago