Carlos Sainz says Toro Rosso will not update its car before the Austrian Grand Prix following a strong start to the season.

Sainz and team-mate Max Verstappen qualified fifth and sixth respectively in the Spanish Grand Prix, but fell away in the opening laps of the race. Having been working on tyre management on high fuel during this week’s in-season test, Sainz said the basis of the car is strong enough that it won’t be updated for another three races.

Asked if there had been any new parts tested on Wednesday, Sainz replied: “No, no parts, the car is the same as it was on Friday with the new parts for the race.

“We will remain like this until Austria, we have to optimise our package and improve what we have. It is a very nice package and we will see what we can do in the next races.”

And Sainz says the focus was on learning about the car rather than trying to prepare for upcoming races.

“We didn’t look too much into Monaco, it is a completely different track to here. We focused on our weaknesses of the weekend. We had a good opportunity to learn and that is what we did.”

However, Toro Rosso’s running was not without reliability issues after Sainz stopped at the entry to the pit lane.

“We had an ERS failure, which is not ideal because you want to complete as many laps as possible. This is a great opportunity, only one in season test for me, we lost a bit of mileage there. The parts were repaired, we put new ones back on and it was fine.”

Click here for Wednesday's gallery from testing at the Circuit de Catalunya

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP: Norris triumphs as F1 bids farewell to Zandvoort

Lando Norris delivered a commanding performance to win a chaotic Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort,…

48 minutes ago

2026 Dutch Grand Prix - Race results

Full race results from the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, round 12 of the 2026…

1 hour ago

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

3 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

4 hours ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

4 hours ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

5 hours ago