Three teams approached Mercedes over customer cars

Toto Wolff says three teams have approached Mercedes about the possibility of being supplied with a customer car in future.

A meeting of the Strategy Group last week resulted in a number of proposals to improve the spectacle of Formula One, but no movement on cost cutting or a more equitable revenue distribution. With the top teams obliged to run a third car if the grid shrinks to less than 16 cars, Bernie Ecclestone has been an advocate of customer cars to ensure a substantial grid.

While constructors’ such as Williams, Force India and Sauber have openly said they are against such a move, when asked about opposition from teams Wolff says three approached him this week regarding the possibility of purchasing cars in the future.

“It’s interesting that [teams] say that, because three of them came to me [on Friday] to see if we can supply customer cars to them,” Wolff said. “So it’s not true. I think it’s a good model, as a contingency plan it works and if we can find a business case around it then we shouldn’t rule it out.”

And Wolff says he is open to the idea of Mercedes supplying cars to customers, saying he would prefer to provide cars to teams which are currently constructors rather than new entrants.

“We need to have a contingency plan in place and customer cars or franchises we've seen in other sports - we’ve seen it in NASCAR - and it functions pretty well. So if the contingency is about supplying our cars to customer teams, hopefully current teams, then yes we would be looking very much at it.

“Obviously it’s a case of how we finance that and what the regulations - sporting and technical regulations - are around that, but I wouldn’t rule that out.”

Click here for Saturday's gallery from the Monaco Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

4 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

6 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

7 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

9 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

10 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

11 hours ago