Hulkenberg: F1 drivers interested in Le Mans debut

Nico Hulkenberg says a number of drivers in the Formula One paddock are showing an interest in his debut at Le Mans this weekend.

The Force India driver is driving a third Porsche entry at Le Mans, the first time a current F1 driver has taken part in the 24 hour race since Sebastien Bourdais in 2009. Having made his World Endurance Championship debut at the 6 Hours of Spa in April, Hulkenberg says a number of his colleagues in F1 have been asking about the difference racing in the two categories.

“A lot of comments, obviously of good luck when I left,” Hulkenberg said when talking about the interest from the F1 paddock. “A lot of the drivers are actually quite curious and interested what it feels like, what the car is like etc. So there is definitely awareness of F1 people and an interest as well.”

Asked by F1i which drivers have shown an interest, Hulkenberg replied: “Quite a few!”

Speaking about his experience at Le Mans so far, the German is not letting himself get too excited about the race yet.

“It’s special and unique. I obviously know and have worked in the F1 environment in the last few years, it’s different, for sure, and here things are more open. Obviously there are more fans and people around who hunt you down for photographs and autographs but that’s OK, you just have to fight your way through. Otherwise I think the magical feeling and the atmosphere will build when we get closer to closer to the race.”

And Hulkenberg says he is not concerned by the busy schedule as he is currently in the middle of races in Canada, Le Mans and Austria on consecutive weekends.

“It is quite demanding, but it’s a three week push, then after that I have a break. Then it’s Silverstone and afterwards July is a bit more quiet and we have the summer break in August. It’s just a busy time but not too busy. I still get my few days off next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; a bit of a breather and recharge to be fresh in Austria again.”

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

1 hour ago

Coulthard left ‘speechless’ Formula E GEN4 car after Monaco blast

David Coulthard has never been short of superlatives in a racing career that took him…

3 hours ago

Not a flying Keke or Mika, but a Finn nevertheless

He wasn't a flying Keke or Mika, but he was nevertheless a Finn and actually…

4 hours ago

Heartbreak for Verstappen at the Nürburgring but ‘I’ll be back’

Max Verstappen’s bid to conquer the Nürburgring 24 Hours has ended in a cloud of…

5 hours ago

Button on racing’s mental toll: ‘As drivers, we’re flawed’

Jenson Button has offered a stark, unusually candid reflection on what really sits beneath the…

6 hours ago

Bearman recalls F1 debut with Ferrari as one 'crazy step’

For most young racing drivers, a call-up to Ferrari would feel like a dream. For…

8 hours ago