'My career is more important than girls' - Verstappen

Max Verstappen says he will not let himself get distracted by the glamour surrounding F1 in order to ensure he has a successful career.

The 17-year-old has impressed in his rookie season so far, but also came in for criticism following an incident with Romain Grosjean in Monaco. Taking part in a joint interview with Bernie Ecclestone on the official Formula One website, Verstappen says he is determined to make sure his F1 career is a long one.

Asked if he'd rather go for dinner with Ecclestone than a gorgeous woman, Verstappen replied: "One hundred percent.

"You cannot learn much from the latter that has value in F1 - but you can learn a lot from Bernie. He has built this sport and is one of the most successful businessmen in the world. My career is more important than girls. You have only one chance here - and I am going to take it!"

And Verstappen told Ecclestone he feels F1 is too technical and drivers should have less information when in the car.

"Even for us young drivers the amount of technical stuff is too much. I would say that right now only 20 percent is occupied with racing, and the vast majority of the remaining 80 percent with watching over the technical stuff.

"Do you know what I do to escape that? I tell my engineers that they should not overload me with information. We are getting way too much info in the cockpit. Sometimes I switch off the display in my car! I want to rely on my gut feeling. Isn’t that what made great race drivers in the end?"

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

36 mins ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

2 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

3 hours ago

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

4 hours ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

5 hours ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

6 hours ago