Manor has made ‘unbelievable progress’ - Booth

Manor team principal John Booth has described his team’s progress since the start of the season as “unbelievable”.

With Marussia having entered administration after last year’s Russian Grand Prix, the team was revived as Manor in February and managed to prepare a 2015-spec car to travel to the Australian Grand Prix, though it was not ready to run. However, the team raced in Malaysia and at every round since, going on to add strength to its technical team in June and even introducing updates to its car at Silverstone.

Speaking exclusively to F1i, Booth says the improvements within all areas of the team have surprised even himself.

“It’s just unbelievable progress,” Booth said. “We are where we are and we’re not going to be fighting for position, but it was really rewarding to put the upgrade on at Silverstone. It did everything that the guys said it would do, which was really rewarding.

“We’re now building up a really good technical team back at base with Bob [Bell], Luca [Furbatto], John McQuilliam of course and Tim Milne. We’re getting a really good technical base together. We’ve been back in the wind tunnel for a month now with the 2016 car, so it’s actually all coming together, amazingly.”

And while all F1 teams take part in a mandatory two week factory shutdown, Booth says Manor is pressing ahead with plans to move in to a new factory by the end of next month.

“We’ve got a new factory to move in to by the end of September. The builders have moved in to fit it out in Banbury, so that will keep us occupied and then we will look forward to the flyaways.”

Click here to find out the budgets available to each F1 team during the 2015 season

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Herbert miraculously survives to race another day

On this day in 1988, a horrendous crash at Brands Hatch practically ended Johnny Herbert's…

42 minutes ago

Lawson focused on ‘enjoying’ Red Bull stint, but ‘it will be tough’

Liam Lawson has been thrust back into a Red Bull cockpit for this weekend’s Dutch…

2 hours ago

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

3 hours ago

Bottas addresses Cadillac shake-up: ‘Something needed to change’

Cadillac’s dramatic decision to part ways with Graeme Lowdon may have caught the Formula 1…

4 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

18 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

19 hours ago