No plans to give Leimer race seat - Booth

Manor team principal John Booth says there are no plans at present to hand Fabio Leimer a race seat in place of Roberto Merhi.

Will Stevens signed a contract for the full season at the start of 2015, but Merhi’s position at Manor was more fluid having originally only been confirmed for the opening four races. With Leimer joining as reserve driver at the Canadian Grand Prix, the move increased the possibility of Merhi being replaced at some stage during the season.

However, following Leimer’s first run in the Manor during practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix, Booth insisted the current plan is to retain Merhi.

Speaking to F1i about the driver situation, when asked if Leimer could race in place of Merhi this year or if he is just being prepared as a back-up, Booth replied: “At the moment it’s just a back-up.

“Fabio did a great job actually, when he hasn’t been in a car since last October - apart from those electric things but you can’t really count those as cars can you - he did a fabulous job and we’ll probably give him another run out before long as well.”

And Booth says he has been impressed with both race drivers so far this season, attributing Merhi’s recent upturn in form compared to Stevens to the European tracks.

“I think the circuits have suited Roberto more. Roberto had terrible trouble looking after his tyres at the start of the year, he really rooted tyres very quickly but he’s learned. We through them in at the deep end, no testing, I know Will had done that one race but really they are still both rookies and they pretty much haven’t put a foot wrong.”

Manor has made 'unbelievable progress' - Booth

Click here to find out the budgets available to each F1 team during the 2015 season

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Russell admits Mercedes team order ‘the right decision’

George Russell was not exactly thrilled when Mercedes told him to move aside for Kimi…

48 minutes ago

Verstappen explains costly Zandvoort crash: ‘I got caught out’

Max Verstappen’s final Dutch Grand Prix ended with a rare lapse of judgment and a…

1 hour ago

Dutch GP: Norris triumphs as F1 bids farewell to Zandvoort

Lando Norris delivered a commanding performance to win a chaotic Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort,…

2 hours ago

2026 Dutch Grand Prix - Race results

Full race results from the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, round 12 of the 2026…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

4 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

5 hours ago