Monaco Grand Prix race winner Sebastian Vettel rejected the idea that Ferrari had planned to use team orders on Sunday.

Vettel started in second place behind his team mate Kimi Raikkonen, who led for the first 33 laps of the race. However Vettel stayed out longer before making his pit stop, and came back out just ahead of Raikkonen.

He insisted that the team hadn't been sure whether the overcut would work, or who would be on the winning strategy at the end of the day.

"From the team point of view, there was no plan of any team orders or anything," Vettel said after the race.

"We spoke about the race before," he continued. "I think they had the same plan to be honest. The lead car normally gets priority. If I had a choice at that point, sitting behind Kimi, if I was going in the pits first. That’s maybe what you like to do, you're on the fresher tyres sooner.

"The plan was to try and pull away, which we did," he explained. "Then Valtteri had really good pace, we were struggling more with our rears and at that point the [pit] window opened.

"Valtteri obviously pitted, Kimi responded. For me I think I still had a bit of a gap, nothing to lose in P2, so I tried to push as hard as possible.

"Within two laps I was surprised myself to be able to pull a gap to be able to come out in front."

"I think it’s probably one of the rare occasions where the overcut turned out to be positive. I’m really glad I made that work.

"I can understand that obviously Kimi’s not happy [with how it turned out]. I would feel exactly the same, one hundred per cent the same"

Vettel said he was delighted to have won again at Monaco. He took his first victory on the iconic circuit in 2011 with Red Bull, while Ferrari hasn't won here for 16 years.

" A supreme day for Ferrari; it’s been a long time," he said. "It's a fantastic job the team has done, so credit to them. A fantastic weekend for Ferrari.

"I think it’s most important that we had a very, very good day, a win," he suggested. "It means an awful lot to the team. I will not find the right words but for me it was a pretty special race.

"It’s just been fantastic. A fantastic weekend for the team and a great reward. This team is working very hard. Obviously this year is very different to last year but the people are the same, the spirit is the same. It’s important that we keep pushing, improving the car."

Vettel now has a 25 point lead over Lewis Hamilton in the drivers championship, but he was dismissing any talk of being favourite for the 2017 title after Monaco.

"For now I am just going to enjoy the win here," he insisted. "I think we’ll have a fun night and then we have enough time to prepare for Canada."

 
“Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE”

Gallery: All the pictures from Saturday in Monaco

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Norris puts Le Mans on bucket list as McLaren builds Hypercar era

The horizons of the motorsport world are expanding rapidly, and reigning Formula 1 world champion…

15 hours ago

Red Bull sees Montreal as ‘another good test’ of RB22 progress

After a challenging start to its 2026 campaign, Red Bull Racing heads to Montreal quietly…

17 hours ago

Brundle says Russell must 'stop Antonelli in his tracks’ in Montreal

George Russell entered 2026 expecting to lead Mercedes into Formula 1’s new era. Instead, five…

18 hours ago

Ben Sulayem slams F1 critics: ‘Only teams behind are complaining'

Mohammed Ben Sulayem has delivered a blunt message to Formula 1’s grumbling teams over the…

19 hours ago

Remembering Niki...

Seven years ago today, Formula 1 and the motorsport family at large mourned the loss…

21 hours ago

Stroll keeping the faith, talks up Aston Martin’s ‘very bright’ future

The grand promises surrounding Aston Martin’s ambitious leap into Formula 1’s new era have quickly…

22 hours ago