F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Force India to review team strategy with Perez and Ocon

Despite finishing the Canadian Grand Prix with both cars in the points, Force India acknowledges it has a growing problem with its drivers Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon.

Perez refused to allow Ocon past during the the Canadian Grand Prix, despite Ocon having fresher tyres and the faster car. The pit wall didn't go as far as using team orders, but there was evident disagreement over the team radio.

Ultimately the stand-off between Perez and Ocon allowed Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel to pass both drivers and claim fourth place. Perez finished in fifth and Ocon had to settle with sixth position. Ocon later complained that Perez had been too robust in his defence over the closing laps.

Perez denied ignoring instructions: "It was not a team order, but a discussion on the radio," he said. "I told the team my arguments, and they accepted them."

Even though it might have cost the team a chance of claiming a podium, deputy team principal Bob Fernley insisted the team had been right not to interfere.

"We have always allowed the drivers to race," Fernley told Motorsport.com. "We should not have recriminations on that at the end of the day.

"You cannot complain when people make switches [using team orders] and say they want them to race, and when they race say you want it the other way around.

"Our policy has been let them race, and that is what we did."

However, Fernley agreed that the policy might have to be changed in future to avoid any further embarrassment. "Maybe we have to review our positions on how we do things in the future," he conceded.

"There are positives and negatives with with happened," he added. "What it has done is highlight an issue we have, which is quite a compliment, that we have two incredibly quick drivers.

"What we have are two drivers who are absolutely at the top of their game. It is something we are now going to have to look at, about how we control that, to keep us on our toes.

"It is a nice problem to have. We should not let it take away from us what was still a fantastic result for the team."

Team owner Vijay Mallya hinted that the team's policy on team orders could be reconsidered.

"Our policy of no team orders continues. But I will specify guidelines to achieve best team result," he said after the race.

 
Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE

Gallery: All the pictures from Montreal

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

2 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

4 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

4 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

6 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

7 hours ago