Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda says that Lewis Hamilton will not remain with the German outfit next year, he is also seeking a contract beyond 2018.
Hamilton's interview with the FIA's in-house magazine Auto left readers perplexed, the Brit stating that a decision to retire from F1 could potentially come at the end of the current season.
The three-time world champion later clarified his comments however, saying been had been 'misunderstood'.
"He is staying, of course, because he has a contract," Lauda told German broadcaster Sky.
"He is not Nico (Rosberg)!"
"Lewis is already discussing the contract extension with us," added the great Austrian.
"He has asked about it. He is highly motivated, as are we, even though negotiations are yet to start.
"But I must honestly say, I feel a tremendous respect for him," said Lauda.
"From the very beginning of the season he has this fighting spirit, he is in excellent physical condition, and the results are growing from race to race."
GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
LAST CHANCE to enter our ULTIMATE TRACKDAY competition! FREE ENTRY HERE!
Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…
Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…
F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…
Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…
Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…
Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…