F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Did Mercedes' James Allison sell out his former team?

The FIA reiterated its firm stance on F1's burning-oil-for-fuel ploy which emerged at the beginning of this year, a move which may have weakened Ferrari.

Engine oil burn suspicions were brought to the forefront earlier this year when Red Bull queried the governing body over the legality of the scheme and suspicions that Mercedes was perhaps getting a boost in qualifying from the trick.

The German outfit quickly denied any wrongdoing however, justifying its speed on Saturday by clever engine mapping.

But ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, the FIA reminded teams once again of the oil-for-fuel restriction, with pundits believing that Ferrari had been the target of the authority's warning.

"There is someone who is now with the silver team that came from the red team and knew what to look for," said a prominent member of Red Bull Racing, clumsily hinting at Mercedes tech boss James Allison - who worked for Ferrari until the middle of last year - as the person who may have put the FIA on Ferrari's tail.

Renault's Remi Taffin believes that it's likely the FIA had a good reason to repeat its warning in Baku. 

"You never have these kind of discussions and clarifications from the FIA if something hasn't been done," Taffin told Motorsport.com.

"But I have to say that as far as we are concerned, we did not really pay attention to this [last clarification].

"We had much more to do rather than get the last bit out of this kind of things.

"We obviously understand what is being done. We fully appreciate the fact that we need to burn fuel [only].

"I don't think anyone is doing anything like that anymore. Just look at what is out there these days and that is the proper comparison."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

21 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

1 hour ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago