F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel expecting tough race with Bottas on Sunday

Sebastian Vettel said that he was happy to have taken second place in qualifying for the Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring.

However, the Ferrari driver said that he was expecting a hard fight with polesitter Valtteri Bottas when the lights went out on Sunday.

"Not quick enough!" Vettel said, after missing out on pole by just 0.042s. "But I was very happy. The car was really good last qualifying."

Vettel expected to have one last chance to clinch pole, but the session ended with yellow flags out in two different parts of the track.

One was for Red Bull's Max Verstappen going off at turn 7, while the other was for Romain Grosjean's Haas crawling to a halt in sector two.

"I was hoping for the last run. But then there was a bit of an anti-climax with the yellow flags," Vettel acknowledged.

"Looking forward to tomorrow, should be a good race.

"It's a long race. A lot of things can happen. We have to look after ourselves, do our own race.

"It's going to be a tough race with Valtteri," he added. "He's been quick all weekend, also yesterday setting good pace, so we'll see. I think it should be a good race."

In last year's Austrian Grand Prix it was Vettel who was hit by a five-place penalty, meaning he started from ninth place on the grid. This time the show is on the other foot, with Vettel's title rival Lewis Hamilton hit with a penalty and starting from fourth place.

Vettel's last race in Austria ended prematurely when his right rear tyre exploded without warning midway through the afternoon. He also retired in the first Grand Prix held at the Red Bull Ring in 2014. That means his fourth place here two years ago remains his best performance at the venue.

Nevertheless, Vettel gave the circuit a big thumbs-up.

"It's a great track," he said. "It's a shame it's a bit short, but really enjoyable with a lot of high speed corners. And the car's been really phenomenal."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Alonso offers no timeline on Aston Martin F1 future

While Williams and Red Bull provided clarity this week on their line-ups for 2027 and…

1 hour ago

Dutch GP: Antonelli edges Norris in single practice session

Kimi Antonelli wasted no time reminding Formula 1 why he leads the championship as the…

2 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix Free Practice 1 - Results

Full results from Free Practice 1 for the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, round 12…

2 hours ago

Herbert miraculously survives to race another day

On this day in 1988, a horrendous crash at Brands Hatch practically ended Johnny Herbert's…

3 hours ago

Lawson focused on ‘enjoying’ Red Bull stint, but ‘it will be tough’

Liam Lawson has been thrust back into a Red Bull cockpit for this weekend’s Dutch…

4 hours ago

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

6 hours ago