F1 News, Reports and Race Results

'Alonso? We're not interested,' says Marchionne

Ferrari may not have a single driver contracted for 2018, but Sergio Marchionne has ruled out hiring Fernando Alonso.

A return to the Scuderia was seen as a possible option for Alonso if he left  McLaren, but the Italian squad has apparently told the Spaniard that it is not interested in his services.

Marchionne also addressed the speculation surrounding Red Bull's Max Verstappen, also seen as a potential Ferrari driver next season.

"Alonso may well have shown the desire to return [to Ferrari], but he did not find the right response from our side," said Marchionne.

"We’re not interested.

"As for Verstappen we have not signed anything. Before the end of the year you'll know."

The Ferrari chairman said he was happy with the team's performance this season, praising Sebastian Vettel's results but also stating that Kimi Raikkonen needed to raise his game

Marchionne denied rumors that Vettel's seat at Ferrari had been under threat after the German drivers' antics in Baku.

The Fiat-Chrysler CEO did say however that the team had not been impressed by its drivers' road rage behaviour.

"I saw him on the Monday or Tuesday after Baku," said Marchionne.

"We met and we said that this was something to be avoided. We have now closed that chapter, so we must think of the races and not the personal squabbles. 

"Sebastian is aware of what happened. I understand the pressure and it was not an easy race. We lost the other car at the second corner in a manner that was not very correct.

"But I don’t want to talk about who behaved well and who did not."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Magali Duqué

Recent Posts

Russell's cheeky 'engagement' joke after Zandvoort sprint pole

Dutch Grand Prix Sprint poleman George Russell returned from Formula 1’s summer break with a…

14 hours ago

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

15 hours ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

16 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

16 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

17 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

17 hours ago