F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Kubica still optimistic on F1 comeback chances

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Robert Kubica still believes in his chances of making a full comeback to Formula 1, although when and with which team remains uncertain. 

The Pole is an interested visitor in the Monza paddock this weekend, working as a consultant for Sky Italia but basing himself at the Renault motor home. 

"Months ago, I promised someone I would be back in the paddock, either as a driver or for TV," Kubica said.

"I prefer to be in the car but this is a good step forward with respect to what has happened. A few years ago I would not have imagined it."

Kubica undertook a preparation and assessment program earlier this year in order to gauge his ability to drive an F1 car six years after sustaining severe injuries in a rally crash which halted his career as a Grand Prix driver.

The program culminated when he tested a new-spec Renault at the post-Hungarian GP in-season test at the Hungaroring before F1's summer break.

A week ago in Spa, Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul admitted that further evaluations would likely be necessary to judge Kubica's ability, prompting speculation that the 32-year-old could be handed an FP1 outing this year with the French outfit.

"I would like to have another chance to drive," admitted Kubica.

"You have to have your feet on the ground and your head free but the last months have been fundamental in lifting my doubts about being able to drive at a high level in formula one.

"I don't know what will happen, but so far it was nice. I am not yet a driver because I do not race, but there are good chances," he added.

"I'm convinced that I could do well and that I can drive these cars at a high level despite my limitations. At the same time I have learned that you have to enjoy what life gives you every day."

Kubica's manager, Alessandro Alunni Bravi, revealed that the Hungary had also generated interest from other F1 teams and other categories of racing.

"The result of the test was much more positive than everyone was expecting, also in the F1 paddock," Bravi told Autosport.

"So there is some interest around him, in F1, out of F1,' said Bravi.

"What we can say after the test is that now Robert has no doubts, and he can drive an F1 car without limitations.

"The next step is still unknown. We are still looking around, and trying to understand which is the best step for him.

"It's just a matter of finding the opportunity, and finding the team that would really be convinced to have him."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

27 mins ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

1 hour ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

2 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

3 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

4 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

6 hours ago