F1 commercial director Sean Bratches confirmed on Wednesday that China and Bahrain could potentially swap dates on next season's schedule.
Formula 1 has yet to confirm China's presence on the sport's calendar for next year.
While Bratches is confident Shanghai will host the race, its tentative date of April 8 coincides with the country's Qingming three-day national holiday, a timing which could negatively impact attendance numbers.
Bahrain, which is scheduled to take place the following weekend, could therefore change its slot with China.
"We’re trying to take into account global events, local events, religious holidays and things to ensure that...we’re maximizing the opportunity for fans to attend the grands prix," Bratches told Reuters.
"We’re talking to both of them (China and Bahrain) to that end and if we can reach a mutually agreed upon solution, which appears to be on track to happen, you’ll probably see that," he said.
Singapore and China were listed as provisional in the initial draft of Formula 1's 2018 calendar which was released back in June by the FIA.
The former was confirmed last weekend and Bratches is fully expecting China to sign on soon.
"We’re incredibly optimistic on bringing that to fruition, just like we did with Singapore last week," he said.
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…
Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…
As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…
The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…
Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…
Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…