F1 News, Reports and Race Results

McLaren young driver Lando Norris crowned Euro F3 champion

Lando Norris has successfully clinched the FIA European Formula 3 title, following the first race of the final round of the season at Hockenheim.

The McLaren young driver is tipped to take over the team's reserve and test driver role from Jenson Button in 2018. He made a successful Formula 1 test debut for McLaren at the Hungaroring in August.

“It’s been a fantastically successful year," Norris said after securing the title on Saturday. "And a season in which it hopefully takes me closer to realising my [Formula One] dream.

"I’m loving my role as a McLaren young driver. Spending time in the simulator at the McLaren Technology Centre, and attending some Grands Prix with the team," he added. "Winning this title can only help me become a F1 driver."

Norris had a chance to close out the championship battle in the previous race at the Red Bull Ring. Instead, he ended up denied after crashing out on the last lap.

He's been made to wait three more weeks, but had a dominant hand coming into the final weekend. The 17-year-old still only needed to finish in the top eight in today's race to secure the crown. Meanwhile his rival Maximilian Günther had to win outright to keep the battle alive.

In the event, Günther was unable to do much from his grid position of 12th place. He crossed the line in tenth place, which in itself handed Norris the title.

Even so, Norris didn't have a particularly smooth ride to the title. Starting from second behind polesitter Callum Ilott, he fumbled the start and lost a position to Joel Eriksson.

Eriksson subsequently slipstreamed his way past Ilott into the Spitzkehre hairpin to take the lead. When Ilott attempted to fight back, he lost momentum which allowed Norris to strike.

There was contact between the pair which was subsequently investigated by the stewards. Norris’s Carlin teammate Ferdinand Habsburg took advantage of the incident to pass them both. However Norris was quickly back on it and he soon dispatched Habsburg on lap 7.

However, Norris had nothing left with which to catch Eriksson before the chequered flag. The stewards investigation deemed no further action was required over his clash with Llott, meaning his second place was confirmed - as was the championship.

“Carlin gave me a fast, competitive car from the opening event at Silverstone," he said. "My thanks go to [team boss Trevor [Carlin] and his amazing crew."

Norris had previously won the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0, Formula Renault 2.0 NEC and Toyota Racing Series titles in 2016, as well as the MSA Formula title from 2015.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

5 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

20 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

21 hours ago