F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Porsche keeps new LMP1 engine program active... for F1?

Despite pulling the plug on its LMP1 WEC program, Porsche will continue to work on the development of a previously planned new engine.

The German manufacturer has set its sights on Formula E from 2019, but it has also shown interest in Formula 1's 2021 engine rules.

Porsche had initiated work on a new 6-cylinder engine destined to power its Hybrid sportscar when it decided to quit the World Endurance Championship.

However, the 30-strong engineering team devoted to developing the new power unit has remained active in Weissach, perhaps implying the work could serve as a basis for a future F1 engine.

"It was clear to us, if we continued in LMP1, we had to make a new engine and we had seen that our four-cylinder engine is reaching its limits," said Porsche LMP1 director Fritz Enzinger.

"We started with a six-cylinder engine in April and of course we want to finish it off. We'll do it, first of all as a single-cylinder engine as we do not have the order to develop a complete engine."

Enzinger added that F1 was not at the forefront of the team's agenda.

"We have no such mandate, you cannot say more about that for now."

Porsche CEO Oliver Blume said the new engine project was primarily kept active for the benefit of its R&D road car division.

"I won't comment on Formula 1," said Blume,

"For now, we're concentrating on Formula E. At Porsche, we've always been well advised to focus on one thing, so as not to overstrain the company.

"We start by developing a single-cylinder engine to test combustion systems for our future [road] sportscars," he said.

"Whether or not it can be used in motorsport is a second pair of shoes, which is not up for discussion at the moment."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

2 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

3 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

5 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

6 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

7 hours ago