F1 News, Reports and Race Results

'Unnecessary pressure' led to Kvyat's demise - Tost

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost says Dany Kvyat pretty much has himself to blame for his botched F1 season in which he lost his drive with the Faenza-based squad.

Red Bull fired a warning shot at the Russian in 2016 when it demoted Kvyat from the senior squad to Toro Rosso.

But impatience coupled with poor judgement on the opening lap of many races led to accidents and mishaps from which Kvyat never recovered, says Tost.

"Sometimes he was too aggressive at the beginning of the race," Tost told Formula 1.com.

"The first corner was his weak point. He wanted too much in the first 100 metres – success by any means!

"That puts you under pressure – unnecessary pressure – and that never works."

Kvyat was permanently dropped from Red Bull's programme after the US Grand Prix, having never measured up to team mate Carlos Sainz during the pair's time together at Toro Rosso.

Despite the Russian leaving Formula 1 through the back door, Tost believes his former driver deserves another chance at the pinnacle of motorsport.

"I am still convinced that Daniil has a very high natural speed," said Tost

"He was sometimes even faster than Daniel Riccardo, but somehow last year and this year he couldn't show the potential that is within him.

"He was involved in many incidents – but in his defence I also have to say that he had many reliability issues and that didn't help build up confidence.

"Being the victim of too many incidents killed the performance he would have been able to show.

"Maybe a short break – to get organised again – and probably we will see Daniil back at his usual performance level with another team."

Kvyat has been named as a possible replacement for Felipe Massa at Williams, although Robert Kubica is still front-running contender for the Grove team's coveted 2018 seat alongside Lance Stroll.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

5 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

7 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

8 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

10 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

10 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

11 hours ago