Sergio Perez is urging Force India to allow himself and Esteban Ocon the freedom to race each other in 2018 with the team facing increased competition from the likes of Renault and McLaren.

Fierce on-track rivalry between Perez and Ocon led to several costly run-ins between the two pink panthers, enticing Force India to impose team orders in the latter part of the season.

But Perez hopes they'll be given a free rein at the outset in 2018.

"We have got to understand how difficult it is going to be next year," Perez told Motorsport.com.

"We'll have the Renaults and McLarens pushing us hard. So we need to push freely if we are to be in the fight.

"We also need to have a car that is competitive from the beginning, to be in the fight from the start and be in the fight for the season."

The contentious relationship on the race track between the Mexican and the Frenchman, which culminated at Spa after a nasty incident between the two drivers, led to a frosty relationship away from it.

But common sense, coupled with Force India's stringent orders, encouraged Perez and Ocon to ease the tensions.

"We hit a very low point on our relationship in Belgium," he said.

"But things have got a lot better since then. We're working professionally. We know we work for a team and we have to do the best for them, especially for next year.

"It's going to be a massive challenge, given the competition and threat from bigger teams which have struggled."

Despite the inner-team rivalry, Perez praised his team mate performance in his first full season as a Grand Prix driver.

"Esteban came to F1 really well prepared with his experience in the previous categories and relationships with F1 teams, so that was good for us," said Perez.

"Every driver's personality is different. Certainly Esteban is someone who can be quick. He understands what he needs and that is important. He's been on it this year."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Russell admits Mercedes team order ‘the right decision’

George Russell was not exactly thrilled when Mercedes told him to move aside for Kimi…

28 minutes ago

Verstappen explains costly Zandvoort crash: ‘I got caught out’

Max Verstappen’s final Dutch Grand Prix ended with a rare lapse of judgment and a…

59 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Norris triumphs as F1 bids farewell to Zandvoort

Lando Norris delivered a commanding performance to win a chaotic Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort,…

2 hours ago

2026 Dutch Grand Prix - Race results

Full race results from the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, round 12 of the 2026…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

4 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

5 hours ago