©WRI2
F1 CEO Chase Carey was apparently not opposed to keeping the grid girls in Formula 1, but the fans' negative feelings towards the female presence ultimately prevailed.
Formula 1 decided last week to replace the traditional 'glamour girls' on the Grand Prix grid with kids and aspiring young champions, starting this year.
The move sparked a lively debate among the F1 and fan community, and beyond, as progressive minds and those in favour of respecting the tradition argued their case.
"I think the reaction was what we expected," the F1 boss told the media.
"Actually if you just left it up to me personally, I like the grid girls. But it's not a decision for me, it's a decision for fans."
Carey added that at the center of F1's decision was the fans' view that the grid girls concept was "exploitative".
Some, however, think the move has taken a big bite out of F1's glamorous side.
"We're going to maintain glamour," Carey said.
"We're going to continue to have pretty girls at races. But I think you have to continue to evolve."
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…
Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…
F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…
Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…
Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…
Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…