F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Grosjean: 'Haas in a good place with good baseline'

On the back of his team's good performance but disappointing result last weekend, Haas' Romain Grosjean can't wait to get back in the saddle.

The US outfit put both its drivers in the top ten in qualifying for the opening round of the world championship, and both Grosjean and team mate Kevin Magnussen were running comfortably at the head of the mid-field when a double pitstop error destroyed their afternoon.

Despite the double-blunder and massive disappointment, Grosjean left Australia with a bright view of the upcoming races.

"It was great, it was amazing, and it gives us a lot of hope for the future," he said in the team's preview of next week's Bahrain Grand Prix.

"I’d rather retire fighting for fourth or fifth position than finishing every race in 15th position.

"Obviously, we need to see how it goes on different circuits, but I think it’s a very positive start. We’re all very much looking forward to going to the next race."

The team's VF-18, which has been targeted by Haas' rivals for its suspicious resemblance to last year's Ferrari, has proven its speed and efficiency out of the box.

"It felt good. We’ve got a very good baseline and we know already where we can improve the car.," added Grosjean.

"We’re working on that. It’s exciting to see that we focus on getting some good performance from the car, rather than just trying to survive or be at the back.

"I think we’re in a good place. We can’t wait to get back racing. A good result will help us to forget Australia.

"Let’s get to Bahrain, let’s do our work, like we did in Australia, focus on our jobs and see where we are at the end. Hopefully, we can have another good surprise."

Looking back one last time at the unfortunate events which unfolded at Albert Park, Grosjean underscored the importance of solidarity within his team, making it a point last Sunday to deliver a word of encouragement to each and every member of his crew after their botched race.

"It’s a team sport, and I believe my team has always been there for me when I needed them.," he says.

"Everything is pushed to its maximum –the driving, the engineering and the pit stops. Mistakes can happen.

"We’re a team, and I was happy to be there for my boys, as I know they’re happy to be there for me when I need them to be."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

1 hour ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

4 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

6 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

7 hours ago