F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Barrichello reveals critical brain tumor surgery

Rubens Barrichello has revealed the reasons he underwent emergency surgery earlier this year, insisting he was lucky to still be alive.

The 45-year-old former F1 driver, a veteran of 323 Grands Prix, said he was rushed to a Florida hospital back in January after collapsing in his shower. A diagnosis revealed a brain tumor and the necessity for an immediate surgical procedure.

"Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my head," explained Barrichello in an emotional interview with Brazil's Globo.

"It seemed to be exploding, I had to fall on the ground and only after a few minutes I managed to reach my wife Silvana to ask for help.

"I immediately realised that it was a serious problem.

"Then we called a doctor we're friends with, and fortunately he immediately recognised the seriousness of the situation. I had incredible luck.

"Shortly afterwards I was already in the operating room. Later, the doctors told me that, on average, only one in seven patients recover from this problem.

"I was afraid that I would not be allowed to race again, but fortunately that's not the case."

Barrichello hinted at the ordeal when he posted a picture from his hospital bed on social media, but without offering any details on his plight.

Fortunately, the 11-time Grand Prix winner is now fit and well, and out of harm's way.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Why Lindblad was ‘a little bit sad’ after qualifying P9 in Montreal

Most rookies would celebrate a top-10 qualifying result at one of Formula 1’s trickiest circuits,…

2 hours ago

Leclerc admits to 'worst weekend of my career’ amid struggles

Charles Leclerc did not try to soften the blow after Saturday’s Canadian Grand Prix qualifying,…

4 hours ago

Bearman on Haas upgrade chaos: ‘We’ve been chasing our tail’

Oliver Bearman has painted a blunt picture of Haas’s Canadian Grand Prix weekend, suggesting the…

5 hours ago

When Jenson buttoned down for a Monaco clean-sweep

Jenson Button and Brawn GP were in a league of their own on this day…

6 hours ago

Montreal Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Power and straight-line speed are usually key strengths around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, but Sunday’s…

8 hours ago

Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s 'all good'

What began as a potential Mercedes one-two dream at the start of Saturday’s Sprint in…

9 hours ago