F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Force India's Perez: 'Qualifying result a massive boost for us!'

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Sergio Perez says Force India's performance in qualifying for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on Saturday a "massive" boost for the Silverstone-based outfit.

The pink team was back to its top ten ways in Baku with both drivers gaining access to Q3 which Esteban Ocon concluded in seventh place, one spot ahead of his team mate.

After a low-key start to its campaign, with aerodynamic issues impacting its 2018 car, Force India put in the necessary analysis, time and work to improve its VJM11, leaving its drivers with a faster a better balanced car.

"As a team result, it's a massive boost for us, we were clearly the fastest mid-field team today," said Perez on his team's Saturday run.

"I'm a bit disappointed, the margin was so close, not only to my team mate but to Raikkonen. I didn't get a clear lap until Q3, with the windy conditions we had today, so many yellow flags were out.

"It wasn't the ideal preparation for Q3 but I'm very happy we made it."

Ocon and Perez's position on tomorrow's grid inevitably brings back memories - painful for Force India - of the two drivers' battle last year in Baku.

Perez insists however that a year on from the pair's on-track clash, lessons have been learned.

"We know that tomorrow is a massive opportunity for us to be able to score a good amount of points for the team."

Perez' team mate and Force India's resident pink panther echoed the Mexican's optimism regarding the speed and efficiency of their VJM11 since yesterday.

"It's been very strong this weekend, it was solid overall," said Ocon.

"This weekend we've brought good progress to the car, it was very enjoyable to drive.

"We are where we deserve to be today. The team is working very very hard, and it's along season so I hope we can keep that position," he added.

"We have the pace overall on the long runs, but there will be a lot of opportunities to gain, or to lose, so you have to be careful with what you do in the race."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

2 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

2 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

3 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

5 hours ago

Tsunoda: Marko radio silence since Red Bull switch ‘very unusual’

Yuki Tsunoda has revealed that he has yet to hear from Red Bull motorsport advisor…

5 hours ago

Sainz admits old Ferrari driving habits holding him back at Williams

Carlos Sainz has acknowledged that his transition to Williams from Ferrari has brought unexpected complications,…

7 hours ago