F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff 'disturbed' by FIA disclosures in Ferrari ERS case

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he is disturbed by the FIA disclosing the names of two key members of the German team in the context of their role in initiating an investigation into Ferrari's ERS system.

The governing body put the Scuderia under scrutiny recently after it was brought to its attention that Ferrari could be circumventing the regulations by exploiting a clever battery system that enabled the deployment of more energy than allowed by the rules.

However, the issue was put to rest this weekend when the FIA announced that Ferrari had been cleared of any wrongdoing, putting an end to speculation that started as far back as Melbourne.

"The matter was exacerbated by unsubstantiated allegations that went through the paddock like wildfire," FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting was quoted as saying by the Mail on Sunday.

"It came from a Ferrari engine man now at Mercedes, but his information would be the length of his gardening leave old."

The media outlet also reported that "Whiting identified the 'Ferrari engine man' as Lorenzo Sassi, and, more explosively, revealed that the matter was brought to the FIA's attention by Mercedes' technical director James Allison prior to the fourth race of the season in Baku."

The disclosures rattled Mercedes and particularly Toto Wolff.

"One of my roles is to protect my people and if certain individuals are named in the wrong context, then that is disturbing," Wolff said.

"Teams question the FIA every single day. I think it's not important to put it out that this person has questioned a legality topic.

"If you say a certain team has done that, then it is perfectly fine, that is modus operandi. Picking out individuals isn't the right thing."

Wolff insisted however that Mercedes - following the FIA's statement on the conformity of Ferrari's ERS - considered the case as closed.

"No judgement has been made on anything, no protest has been lodged, it's just a press statement," said Wolff.

"We trust them. If they have looked at things, then it's fine."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

3 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

4 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

5 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

7 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

8 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

9 hours ago