F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Boullier insists he won't quit over 'chocolate-gate'!

McLaren has once again found itself at the centre of a tabloid storm focussed on stories that its workers in Woking are up in arms.

Last weekend there were reports that staff were in open revolt against the teams' senior management, and that many wanted to see the return of former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh.

Now Friday's Daily Mail says that staff are outraged over receiving Cadbury's Freddo chocolate bars as 'bonuses'.

But McLaren racing director Eric Boullier dismissed the latest reports and said that they were a storm in a teacup.

"There have been a couple of stories about some 'chocolate-gate' in the media today, which have been a bit funny to read," he said.

"I think it's a matter of a couple of people who are grumpy," he insisted. "There are maybe a couple of people grumpy - in any organisation you have some people who agree or disagree.

"We don't know what is the problem of these people," he continued. "We have invited them to come and see us to see what the problems are, rather than talking through the back door.

"Obviously we are 800 people. We have a lot of support from the workforce and from the engineering [staff].

"Actually in some ways it might be good for us, because we've had a lot of feedback, and good feedback," he added. "We've had tons of emails from people saying this is a joke!"

However the Daily Mail even went as far as asking Boullier if it was time for him to quit the team because of the sustained critical coverage.

"No, I will not resign," he told the reporter. "To your question, I know you have written some articles. I've won races and championships with every team I've managed before, including F1. This is something you cannot take away from me."

But the undeniable problem is that the current MCL33 is not performing as well as the team had hoped.

After three years of blaming its lack of performance on its ill-fated partnership with Honda, this year there is no where left for McLaren to hide when things don't go according to plan.

"The car this year obviously is not working exactly as we expected it to be," Boullier admitted. "But we are still using this as an experimental experience.

"We want to learn from this car, and learn as well working with Renault, because it's a different partner from last year, so we have something new to learn.

"Again it's a journey," he stressed. "This is part of the journey, learning to work with Renault, out new power unit partner."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

6 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

8 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

10 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

11 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

12 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

13 hours ago