F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sauber 'massively different' from last year - Ericsson

Marcus Ericsson has hailed Sauber's development this season which has elevated the team from the back of the grid to its current position of solid mid-field contender.

A commercial partnership with Alfa Romeo coupled with new-spec Ferrari engines has greatly boosted the Hinwil outfit's performance level, enabling the team to fight for points at every outing.

"It’s a massive difference," said Ericsson when describing the team's progress over the last 12 months.

"I think just coming from the financial side first of all, now the financial platform is a lot stronger, and everything builds from there.

"And we’ve brought in some great people on the team, and people in the team have grown motivation with everything that’s going forward," he added.

"Now we’re in a completely differnt world to 12 months ago and it’s great to see.

"I think it’s impressive to see the way we have developed as a team in 12 months and it’s a great reward for all the hard work being put into the team."

However, building on its improvements will require a sustained effort from Sauber on the development front, but the Swedish driver is confident his team can keep implementing updates.

"I don’t see a reason why we should be dropping back more than other teams in the midfield," said the 27-year-old.

"That’s been our way this year that we bring updates more or less every race, not big packages, but bits and pieces all the time to keep improving the car and as far as I understand that’s what we’re going to keep doing.

"Compared to the midfield, which we are fighting, we should be able to do the same development, and then at some point you switch focus more and more on next year."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

3 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

4 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

5 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

6 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

7 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

9 hours ago