F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sauber working on putting both its drivers in Q3

Sauber technical director Simone Resta hopes the Swiss outfit's ongoing progress will enable both its drivers to fight for a spot in Q3 in the upcoming races.

Sauber's performance level has markedly improved this season on the back of a significant management and financial restructuring that took place in 2017.

The team's partnership with Alfa Romeo and its closer ties with Ferrari - not to mention the hiring of former Scuderia man Resta - also added to a productive mix that has seen the Hinwil squad nicely move up the grid.

Like its rivals, Sauber has now switched the majority of its resources to its 2019 design, although the team believes there is still more to extract from its current C37 car.

"I hope we will be progressing a little bit in the next races and that we will be closer and closer to Q3 with both cars," said Resta.

"The trend so far has been good. I think it’s fair to say that we are slowing down our development rate for the time being, and we are concentrating mostly on next year’s car.

"That is a big challenge but also a big opportunity for us to close even further the gap to the big [teams]."

While Ferrari-bound rookie Charles Leclerc earned himself a spot in the top-10 Saturday shootout on three occasions this season, Marcus Ericsson has yet to access the final Q3 qualifying segment.

The Swede admits the team's performance fell short of expectations at F1's recent high-speed venues Spa and Monza, his challenge in Italy not helped by the massive crash sustained in FP2.

"I think in general we were a bit slower than expected, we thought we were going to be stronger on a track like [Monza], Ericsson was quoted as saying by Crash.net.

"But to be fair I think both Spa and at Monza with the lower downforce tracks we’ve been struggling a bit more," he said.

"As a team, we are eager to bounce back and we are determined to fight for a good result again. I look forward to being back in Singapore."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Grosjean: IndyCar ‘way faster’ than F1… in certain corners

Formula 1 is the pinnacle of speed, but former Haas charger and IndyCar returnee Romain…

4 hours ago

Piastri warns of energy ‘abnormalities’ at certain F1 circuits

The 2026 Formula 1 revolution is no longer theory — it’s a looming test of…

6 hours ago

A legend who is still in everyone's heart

The great Niki Lauda would have celebrated his 77th birthday on this day, so it's…

8 hours ago

Hot mess: Tsunoda’s San Francisco demo goes up in smoke

Talk about a "burning" desire to get back on the grid. Yuki Tsunoda’s first appearance…

8 hours ago

Newey reportedly laid bare Honda engine crisis in F1 meeting

Adrian Newey’s vision for an Aston Martin dynasty is facing a brutal reality check as…

9 hours ago

Team Talk: F1's final week of pre-season testing in Bahrain

Aston Martin – 128 laps Mike Krack, Chief Trackside Officer “We have concluded our test…

11 hours ago