Pierre Gasly pointed the finger at Esteban Ocon after the pair's squabble in the Mexican Grand Prix, the Toro Rosso driver admitting he's wary whenever he goes wheel-to-wheel with his countryman.

It's a well-known fact that there is no love lost between the two French drivers, their rivalry dating all the way back to their karting days together.

The pair locked horns once again in Sunday's Mexican Grand Prix as they fought for position at Turn 4 in the closing stages of the race, with Gasly feeling he had been forced off the track by the Force India driver.

However, the stewards deemed that Gasly had run wide as a result of locking up, and no further action was taken but the Toro Rosso driver - who eventually overtook Ocon - was clearly wound up against his rival.

"With Ocon it’s always the same thing. I’ve known him for a long time, there are a lot of chances that things happen," Gasly said after the race.

"I think he wasn’t very happy that I had started last and managed to overtake him, so he pushed me wide and I had to go off track.

"I could have forced my way in Turn 5 and we would have had contact, but it wasn’t worth it, as I could have another go after that.”

"For me it wasn’t fair, because you leave the space for one car, but if they say you can race aggressively, I don’t mind."

Gasly also questioned the stewards' stance, referring to a similar incident earlier this year at Silverstone when he was handed a penalty for running Sergio Perez wide.

"I think compare it with many other situations, like with me in Silverstone, so it seems to be quite a grey area, as normally you should leave space for one car and clearly there wasn’t space for one car there," he said.

"In the end I don’t care, because I finished ahead of him [Ocon] and I scored one point, and he didn’t score points."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Herbert miraculously survives to race another day

On this day in 1988, a horrendous crash at Brands Hatch practically ended Johnny Herbert's…

44 minutes ago

Lawson focused on ‘enjoying’ Red Bull stint, but ‘it will be tough’

Liam Lawson has been thrust back into a Red Bull cockpit for this weekend’s Dutch…

2 hours ago

Norris reveals ‘biggest factor’ fueling confidence for F1’s second half

Lando Norris has made it clear that his confidence heading into Formula 1’s second half…

3 hours ago

Bottas addresses Cadillac shake-up: ‘Something needed to change’

Cadillac’s dramatic decision to part ways with Graeme Lowdon may have caught the Formula 1…

4 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

18 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

19 hours ago