F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Spa untroubled by potential Dutch GP competition

Belgian Grand Prix promoter André Maes isn't worried by a potential return to the F1 calendar of a race in Holland and the rivalry it could generate between the two countries.

Earlier this month, Dutch media reported that Formula One Management had made an offer to Zandvoort to put the Netherlands back on F1's schedule as early as 2020.

The historical circuit's owners have evaluated the feasibility of hosting a Dutch Grand Prix, an ambitious project fueled in large part by the success and popularity of the country's representative on the grid, the intrepid Max Verstappen.

Currently, the young Red Bull driver's fans flock every year to the Belgian Grand Prix at nearby Spa to support their idol.

A return of the Dutch Grand Prix could therefore deprive the Ardennes venue of a massive contingent of spectators.

André Maes, the man who has been at the helm of the Belgian Grand Prix for over three decades, believes any worries are premature.

"It is only natural that we constantly have to fight for our place," he said.

"We do not veto a race in the Netherlands, but we have asked if there are plans.

"If there is a Dutch Grand Prix, they will need at least three years to prepare everything."

Maes, who inked a new three-year deal with Liberty Media earlier this year, will soon be stepping down as the event's promoter, and possibly replaced by either his daughter, who has worked by his side for many years, or Nathalie Maillet, who currently manages the Spa-Francorchamps circuit.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

5 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

6 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

6 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

7 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

8 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

10 hours ago