F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Proud Hartley left Yas Marina his 'head held high'

Brendon Hartley won't be racing in F1 next season, but the ousted Toro Rosso driver hopes his career in Grand Prix has just been put on hold.

The Kiwi's exit from the Faenza-based squad was confirmed on Monday by the announcement of Alexander Albon's arrival at Toro Rosso, where the British-Thai driver will race alongside F1 returnee Brendon Hartley.

On his way out last weekend, the 28-year-old was given a big accolade by Honda's engineers who thanked him for his hard work and his contribution to the manufacturer's engine development programme in 2018, the benefits of which will hopefully be reaped by Red Bull in 2019.

Hartley has since spoken out, insisting F1 remains "unfinished" business.

"I left the [Yas Marina] circuit on Sunday with my head held high," he said in a lengthy message posted on Twitter.

"I'm very proud of my story and my journey so far but I'm left feeling I have unfinished business in F1. For the moment, that has been put on hold.

"I've hit speed bumps before and I am a strong believer that tough situations make you stronger. It also helps that I have a great NZ [New Zealand] support crew, friends, family and wife.

"I also want to thank my trainer Rich and almost all of the 500 strong Toro Rosso staff who I have stood beside and have enjoyed working with this season, all of the engineering team, the mechanics, marketing, PR, logistics, hospitality crew, factory staff and of course all at Honda Racing.

"I really do appreciate the support I have received from fans across the globe this year, I still have plenty more pages to write in my story and I will make the most of the opportunity's [sic] in the next chapter."

Hartley's immediate future is unclear. He has retained a link with Porsche, but the German manufacturer is no longer racing in LMP1 in the WEC and may not have much on its plate to offer the 2017 Le Mans winner.

His relationship with Porsche could perhaps lead to an involvement in Formula E when the Stuttgart firm enters the all-electric series next year.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

15 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

17 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

19 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

20 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

21 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

22 hours ago