The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April 19 will likely be called off due to the coronavirus threat, with an announcement by F1 expected to be imminent.

The uncertainty surrounding the scale of the outbreak of the deadly virus in China and its control have led the country's officials to cancel public and sporting events, including an upcoming round in Sanya of the FIA Formula E Championship.

Last week, with the health emergency in China persisting, Formula 1 managing director Ross Brawn alluded to contingency plans for the race in Shanghai, suggesting a postponement rather than an outright cancellation of the event could be organized.

However, finding a slot for the race on the sport's 22-race calendar won't be easy.

One option reportedly under discussion is to allocate an end-of-November date to Shanghai, but that move can only be achieved by pushing back F1's season finale in Abu Dhabi.

Scrapping the Chinese Grand Prix will mean a four-week break between the Vietnam Grand Prix scheduled on April 5 and the Dutch Grand Prix set to take place on May 3.

Given the congestion of the current calendar, not to mention the health concerns linked to China, it's unlikely the teams will complain about not visiting Shanghai in April.

So far, China has communicated more than 42,200 cases of coronavirus across the country while the death toll has passed 1,000, with more than three-quarters of the deaths occurring in Hubei's provincial capital, Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak which has been in lockdown for weeks.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

5 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

5 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

7 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago