F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sticchi Damiani rubbishes 'fake news' Monza cancellation

ACI president and Italian GP promoter Angelo Sticchi Damiani has dismissed as "fake news" rumors that Monza has been axed from F1's revised 2020 schedule.

Formula 1 is in the process of trying to rebuild a semblance of a calendar for the sport following the cancellation and postponement so far of ten races.

F1 boss Chase Carey expressed earlier this week his confidence in seeing the racing resume in early July and unfold over the summer with a series of closed-door events in Europe before the action hopefully migrates to Asia, America and finally to the Middle-East.

A tentative revised calendar, allegedly reflecting a first draft from F1, circulated over the internet this week, and Monza was conspicuously absent from the list of races.

But Sticchi Damiani denied that Monza has been scrapped from the this year's likely shortened campaign.

"We are convinced that Monza will still be there, although almost certainly behind closed doors," the Italian Automobile Club president Sky Sport 24.

"We don’t realize why fake news came out about a possible absence on the calendar of the Italian Grand Prix."

While Monza will be ready to host the Italian Grand Prix on September 4, Sticchi Damiani admitted that the event's fate will depend on the extent of Italy's recovery from the coronavirus crisis.

A lack of improvement in the number of the country's COVID-19 cases in the coming months would clearly put the race in jeopardy.

"We don’t have a crystal ball to know what Italy will be like in early September," he said. "We hope this story will be over, we believe in a miracle.

"Today we are gearing up for a Grand Prix behind closed doors, this is our duty and we are working towards it."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

6 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

7 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

8 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

9 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

10 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

11 hours ago