F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff mocks rivals for 'ridiculous' Concorde Agreement comments

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says McLaren and Ferrari have made themselves "a laughingstock" for claiming to be ready to sign Formula 1's all-important new Concorde Agreement.

The future covenant that regulates the commercial relationship between the teams and rights holder Liberty Media will cover the 2021-2026 period.

The agreement has been in the works for many months, with F1 and the FIA tweaking the fine print according to ongoing discussions with the sport's competitors.

However, final negotiations were also retarded by the onslaught of the coronavirus.

Yet Ferrari's Mattia Binotto and McLaren's Zak Brown both stated last week in Hungary that they were ready to commit to the new document. But the public comments that drew a strong reaction from Wolff.

"I don't know why some of the other teams made those ridiculous commentaries that they are ready to sign and there seems to be competitors that are not," Wolff said last weekend.

"They make themselves a laughingstock with those comments in the public."

"Negotiations should be taking place behind closed doors without a running commentary from competitors.

"And in that respect we are talking to Liberty, we are keen in staying in F1 and there are some clauses that bother us a little bit, but nothing that can't be solved."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

14 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

1 hour ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

5 hours ago