F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Gasly reveals congratulatory call from Vettel after Monza

Pierre Gasly was flooded with congratulatory messages after his shock win at Monza last weekend, but a call from one Sebastian Vettel carried a special meaning.

Gasly's maiden win was a sweet revenge for the Frenchman who was demoted mid-season in 2019 to Red Bull's 'B' team - Scuderia AlphaTauri.

However, the bulls' top brass were the first to take their hats off to the young charger's outstanding performance at Monza.

"Helmut congratulated me in Monza, he sent me a text, similar for Christian. They were both really happy with my success," recounted Gasly.

But the 25-year-old was also welcomed to a very small club by Vettel.

"At Toro Rosso, as Seb mentioned to me on Monday when he called me, [we are] the only two to have won with this team.

"He won in 2008 and went to Red Bull to win four championships, as we know. I’m really happy to have joined him in this winner club for this team.

"It feels very special after winning that race," he added.

"I guess [as] for every F1 driver it's first of all a dream since I was a kid and probably when I look back from the moment I was six years old I started to watch Formula 1 and look at Michael [Schumacher] on the top step of the podium and telling my parents 'ok, I want to be like this guy one day'.

"A lot of things have happened from six years old to now 24 years old and making this happen in Monza. A lot of hard work, a lot of sacrifices and a lot of people on board helping me to make this happen.

"Every driver wants to live these kind of emotions and to live this moment one day was really particular and special for me. With AlphaTauri as a midfield team it's not something you expect, I think it just made that win even more powerful and even more special."

Gasly's win was a form of motorsport poetic justice for the first Frenchman to win a Grand Prix since Olivier Panis at Monaco in 1996, and that wasn't lost on Monza's winner.

"After everything that happened over the last 18 months, I felt there were things which were not so fair and I wanted to make my answers on track," said.

"I never came in the media [to vent his frustrations] because I felt like it wasn't professional and, even though I did agree with a few things that were said.

"I just keep it for me and said 'ok, just focus on your performance, focus on yourself, day after day, race after race' and just try to improve myself as an athlete, as a person as a driver and put strong performances on the track.

"Obviously, the podium last year in Brazil was already amazing, we didn't expect that, and then just a couple of months later to get my first win with AlphaTauri was probably the best answer.

"But at the moment I think it's important to enjoy it with the team, AlphaTauri, and we'll see what opportunities it brings for the future."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

14 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

16 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

18 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

19 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

20 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

21 hours ago