Turkish GP organisers have announced that 40,000 tickets for their November 15 event at Istanbul Park were sold within six hours this week.

The race has returned to the calendar after a nine-year absence and is one of several rounds of the F1 world championship - along with Mugello, the Nürburgring, Portimão and Imola - that were included on the sport's rebuilt 2020 schedule as a result of the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Intercity, the promoter of the event that will be open to the public, is hoping for 100,000 spectators to pass through the gates on race day, or half of Istanbul Park's capacity.

Sales are off to a good start with 40,000 general admission tickets sold in six hours earlier this week, with race fans in Turkey scrambling to take advantage of the tickets' bargain-basement price of 30 Turkish Lira, or a little over €3!

"We were planning to fill the full capacity, 220,000 seats, under normal circumstances but it’s not possible with COVID-19," said Intercity chairman Vural Ak.

"Before us, this organisation was without [an] owner. We are passionate and enthusiastic about this sport and we can organise it successfully. But, as you know, there is COVID-19.

"That’s why we hope to bring about 100,000 people."

However, Intercity is carefully watching Turkey's sanitary situation regarding COVID-19 and has filed a contingency plan just in case.

"We have to be prepared for anything," he said. "If the disease becomes worse than today, then the race can be done without spectators.

"However, we know the capacity of this track. Around 220,000 spectators can watch the race in the grandstands and in the open areas.

"At the moment for safety reasons, if we close some sections, about 100,000 spectators will be able to watch the race by following social distancing rules."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Are Horner and BYD exploring a shock F1 future?

A swirl of paddock intrigue has followed reports that Christian Horner spent last weekend in…

4 hours ago

‘That drives me mad’: Smedley tears into slow F1 race engineers

Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…

5 hours ago

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

7 hours ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

8 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

9 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

11 hours ago