F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Marko advised Vettel to take one-year break from F1

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko says he advised Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel to take a sabbatical year away from F1 and consider a return in 2022.

In May earlier this year, Ferrari announced that it would part with Vettel at the end of the current season, a decision that many believed would encourage the four-time world champion to conclude his career in F1.

Vettel - who won 39 races and every single one of his world titles with Red Bull Racing - remained close to Marko after leaving the Milton Keynes outfit in 2014, and consulted with the Austrian last spring in the wake of his dismissal by Ferrari.

©Ferrari

With opportunities to join either Mercedes or Red Bull seemingly non-existent, Marko told Vettel to sit on the sidelines for a year.

"I advised him to take a break for a year", Marko told German broadcaster Sport1.

"He could recharge himself in the meantime and then return with a new impetus and focus on the opportunities that 2022 would offer.

"I think that a few seats could become available for 2022."

But Vettel ultimately decided to remain in F1 and embark on a new challenge with Aston Martin Racing from next season.

While Marko believes the Silverstone-based outfit can fight for podiums in 2021, the 77-year-old insists race wins will be hard to come by.

"He wanted to stay in the picture and thinks he has a good chance of finishing on the podium with Aston Martin. In my view, that is quite realistic," said the Red Bull motorsport boss.

"But whether he can also win? I doubt that based on the car. I hope this new direction will work well for him."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

20 minutes ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

58 minutes ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

2 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

3 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

4 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

5 hours ago