F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff: Russell future at Williams out of Mercedes' hands

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff says the future at Williams of its protégé George Russell rests entirely with the British squad's management amid rumors surrounding Sergio Perez's talks with the team.

In July, Williams extended into 2021 the contracts of both Russell and Nicholas Latifi. But the team's recent takeover by new owner Dorilton Capital coupled with Perez's availability has led to questions about the future of the Grove-based outfit's line-up for next season.

The outgoing Racing Point driver and his array of sponsors are an attractive proposition for Williams. However, Latifi's position with the team is considered to be safe given the funding he brings to Williams, leaving Russell potentially vulnerable to being shoved out by Perez.

On Friday in Portugal, acting Williams team boss Simon Roberts refused to confirm whether Russell and Latifi's deals for 2021 are rock solid, a reserve that only added to the ongoing speculation.

Roberts did however state that "nothing has changed" regarding Williams' driver plans for 2021.

Queried on Russell's potential fate, Wolff said:

"In the end, it’s Williams’s decision. We all know about George’s capabilities. He is a star of the future who remains unbeaten by his teammates in Formula 1.

"Sometimes he is able to show highlights in a car that is not competitive at the moment. And I think he’s a great team asset.

"But there’s obviously a financial reality that I cannot judge at all, and it’s absolutely at the discretion of the new owners and Simon to decide what they want to do going forward."

Wolff confirmed that Mercedes had been in contact with Williams regarding Russell's situation.

"We’ve touched base about George but at the end, like I said, it’s their call," said the Austrian.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

8 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

10 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

11 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

13 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

13 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

14 hours ago