©RedBull
Max Verstappen says Lewis Hamilton's absence from this weekend's Sakhir GP won't increase Red Bull's chances of success, with the Dutchman predicting a "tough" race on Sunday.
Hamilton will sit out the second round of racing in Bahrain having tested positive for COVId-19.
The recently crowned F1 world champion will be replaced by Mercedes protégé George Russell who is being loaned to the team by Williams.
Verstappen reckons that Valtteri Bottas and Russell, armed with the fastest car on the grid, will represent a formidable opposition.
"There is no Lewis but there is still Valtteri and George driving the fastest car in the field," said the Dutchman.
"So it will still be very tough and not easy, especially with the layout we have.
"Lap times will be very close with the guys behind us from last week. I don’t expect it to be easy out there."
This weekend's race will take place on Sakhir's outer but shorter layout, with lap times predicted to be lower than 54 seconds around the fast 11-corner track.
"I think it’s definitely a bit of a stand-alone layout," Verstappen added. "It’s quite sandy and it’s not used a lot, that area. But it’s a new challenge, it’s different, so let’s see what it gives us."
The track will require teams to run low-downforce set-ups. However, it's a configuration in which Red Bull's RB16 has struggled this season.
"I really hope it’s not going to be like Monza, but we have to wait and see.
"The track is a bit different compared to Monza,” he explained. “There are still a few kind of corners where you can make a bit more of a difference.
"At Monza you run really low downforce, everyone runs very low downforce, so you just really lack on the straights.
"Here, there will be a bit of difference in terms of downforce levels. But let’s hope and pray it’s going to be better."
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…
On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…
Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…
McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…
Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…
McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…