The Formula One Group has announced that Interlagos Circuit will host the Sao Paulo Grand Prix in Brazil until 2025.
Interlagos, the historical home of the Brazilian GP, was previously expected to drop off the F1 calendar, with the country's event transferred to a new venue at Rio de Janeiro.
However, local environmental opposition eventually squashed Rio's plans which were supported by Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro.
Therefore, Formula 1 has renewed its contract with Interlagos, but the event will be managed by a new promoter, Brasil Motorsport, a company linked to Abu Dhabi investment group Mubadala.
"Brazil is a very important market for Formula 1 with devoted fans and a long history in the sport,” said Formula 1’s outgoing CEO Chase Carey.
"The race in Brazil has always been a highlight for our fans, the drivers and our partners and we look forward to providing Formula 1 fans with an exciting race at Interlagos in 2021 and over the next five years."
Sao Paulo Mayor Bruno Covas says Brazil's vibrant city "made a tremendous effort" to keep its F1 event on the sport's schedule.
"It is a great joy to be able to announce that Interlagos will continue to host one of the of the most important events in world motorsports," said Covas.
"We made a tremendous effort to keep the race in our city. We have robust infrastructure for tourists, public safety and offer top-notch services.
"We believe that hosting the Grand Prix, in addition to promoting our city to the world, will continue to bring important contributions such as job creation and income generation. We have seen studies that show that for every R$1 invested in the São Paulo GP, R$5.20 is generated for the local economy."
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…
George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…
Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…
Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…
While Williams and Red Bull provided clarity this week on their line-ups for 2027 and…
Kimi Antonelli wasted no time reminding Formula 1 why he leads the championship as the…