F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Marko: Mercedes trying to delay Hodgkinson move to Red Bull

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko says Mercedes is desperately trying to delay the move of its engine man Ben Hodgkinson to Red Bull's new engine unit.

Red Bull Powertrains, which will handle the F1 team's engine program from next season, is currently in the process of being set up at Milton Keynes.

In addition to a dedicated building under construction on Red Bull's campus, efforts are well underway to recruit key staff for the new unit, with Hodgkinson's high profile hiring already announced last week.

The now former Mercedes HPP head of engineering is set to become Red Bull Powertrain's technical director, a position the Briton will assume after an expected period of gardening leave imposed by Mercedes.

But according to Marko, the German manufacturer is using all its legal resources to try and extend that period and delay the start of Hodgkinson's tenure with Red Bull.

"The decisive thing is, we didn't have to persuade him at all," Marko told F1-Insider. "Ben applied independently through our advertisement.

"Mercedes is now trying everything they legally can do to delay the start of his work. But it won't take as long as Mercedes would like."

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said last week that more important hiring were in the works, which Marko confirmed.

"He is not the only one who wants to join us," added Marko. "There are also other high-profile figures, whose names I cannot yet give."

Interestingly, Marko took a veiled dig at Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff, suggesting his countryman hasn't been able to avoid an exodus of Mercedes personnel from Brixworth.

"I know only one thing," added Marko. "If Niki Lauda were still alive, we would not have been able to do this."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

4 minutes ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

1 hour ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

2 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

3 hours ago

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

5 hours ago

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

18 hours ago