Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff has dismissed as "nonsense" rumors that emerged earlier this week about a potential in-season swap between Valtteri Bottas and George Russell.
The story was disseminated by the Daily Mail which claimed – based on alleged comments from an insider at Mercedes - that the Brackley squad was "losing faith" in Bottas and that the Finn could be replaced before the end of the season.
Speaking to Austrian daily Osterreich, Wolff rejected the nonsensical report in short order.
"Nonsense," quipped Wolff. "Bottas is really good – he can take on anyone in the field. And again and again he is able to drive faster than Lewis, like last time in Portimao qualifying.
"Lewis deserves to be world champion through being more consistent."
Ahead of the start of the 2021 season, Wolff said that he would seek clarity on Hamilton's future much earlier than in the past.
But the Mercedes boss says that contract discussions with the seven-time world champion are not currently on his agenda.
"At the moment we are concentrating on the championship," he said. "We must not take our eyes off the ball.
"If at some point there is time we will talk about the future, but we haven’t started that yet."
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
A swirl of paddock intrigue has followed reports that Christian Horner spent last weekend in…
Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…
Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…
Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…
If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…
Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…