F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Horner: Stewards should be 'locked away' from team bosses

Red Bull's Christian Horner says team bosses should not be allowed to visit F1's stewards and potentially exercise undue influence when an incident is under review.

Last Sunday's controversial on-track clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton led to both Red Bull Racing and Mercedes team representatives calling FIA race director Michael Masi during the race's red flag period to cast their unilateral view on the high-profile incident.

But when Mercedes boss Toto Wolff offered to argue his case directly to the stewards, and Masi accepted, an angry Horner took exception with the Austrian's initiative.

"I saw Toto, who was lobbying the stewards, which I heard he was going there so I went there to make sure our view was represented," recounted Horner after the race.

"I don’t think it’s right that team principals go up there to lobby the stewards.

"They should be locked away so they’re not influenced and for me that was unacceptable that he had gone up there to lobby the stewards.

"I wanted to make sure there was a balanced opinion given, rather than trying to influence pressure on the stewards to make a menial sentence.

"I don’t think anyone should be allowed to see the stewards during the course of a Grand Prix."

On the opposing side of the stewards' office, Wolff justified his decision to personally deliver his view on events.

"I was told that there was a rant on the radio to Michael about all the badness in the world, and then I went up and gave my opinion," Wolff sarcastically said, referring to Horner's earlier radio communication with Masi.

"I’ve been to the stewards many times."

Masi stated that he had no objections with a team boss interacting directly with the stewards.

"If we have an incident after the race we invite the teams and the drivers to come and appear before the stewards," he said. "And that’s one of the elements the stewards have.

"We had the case in Monza last year when Lewis went and spoke to the stewards to understand what happened and have a look at the whole picture. During the suspension, that ability exists, so there's no reason not to."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

1 hour ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

4 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

6 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

7 hours ago