F1 News, Reports and Race Results

McLaren to gauge O'Ward's F1 future after Abu Dhabi test

McLaren racing boss Zak Brown will assess whether Pato O'Ward has a potential future in F1 after the IndyCar charger's test with the F1 team in Abu Dhabi after the end of the season.

Earlier this year, Brown vowed to give O'Ward a test onboard McLaren's current MCL35M car at Yas Marina if the Mexican won a race in the 2021 NTT IndyCar Series for the Arrows McLaren SP squad.

The 22-year-old did just that at the start of May when he triumphed in the XPEL 375 event at Texas Motor Speedway. But O'Ward followed up with a second win in Detroit which put him in contention for this year's IndyCar title.

Unfortunately, the young talent's title chances were squandered early on in last weekend's finale at Long Beach where Chip Ganassi Racing's Alex Palou was crowned the 2021 IndyCar champion, just ahead of O'Ward.

©ArrowMcLaren

The Mexican is on course to enjoy a promising career in the US, but F1 could come calling in the future.

"We’ll see after he drives the car in Abu Dhabi," Brown said, quoted by Motorsport.com's Dutch edition.

"Drivers always have the ambition to drive in Formula 1, but I think we have to wait and see how it goes in Abu Dhabi."

Brwon made clear that a stellar performance by O'Ward in this year's post-season test at Yas Marina would not necessarily imply a switch to F1 at some point in the future.

"We have to wait and see the developments in IndyCar, but also in F1 to see if there is an opportunity in the future," said the McLaren boss.

"This is important. We all focus on our task and don’t think about what might or might not happen.

"The best way to get to F1 is to do what [Jacques] Villeneuve and [Juan Pablo] Montoya did in IndyCar, I told him. Then we will see what happens."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

47 mins ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

2 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

3 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

5 hours ago

Leclerc fastest midday in Bahrain on final day of testing

Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…

7 hours ago

Penske's journey from driver to the Captain

Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…

7 hours ago