F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Marko admits 'weight is a problem' for Red Bull's RB18

Helmut Marko says Red Bull Racing's new RB18 is overweight, an issue the Austrian hopes will be resolved by a late change to F1's minimum weight regulations for 2022.

Since the start of Formula 1's hybrid era in 2014, the FIA has steadily increased the minimum weight of Formula 1's cars. It now stands at 795kg excluding fuel.

But teams typically design their cars to be underweight and then add ballast to comply with the minimum weight requirement.

However, this year's wholesale changes - especially the introduction of 18-inch wheels – have led to significant challenges for each team's design department.

Marko reckons the majority of the teams' designs that were rolled out in Barcelona last week were overweight to a certain degree.

"The only problem we have is weight, but all teams have that," Marko told Motorsport-Magazin.com.

"Thank God the minimum weight has already been raised, but there is still a lot of work to do before the first race."

Marko suggested that the FIA and F1 could tweak the minimum weight provision ahead of the start of the 2022 season next month in Bahrain.

But suc a course of action would require a vote from the members of the F1 Commission, with eight of F1's ten teams agreeing to raising the minimum threshold, an unlikely prospect given that several outfits may be content with their car's current load.

"All but one of the teams are struggling with the weight problem," contended Marko.

According to German's Auto Motor und Sport, Alfa Romeo F1's C42 is running lean while McLaren's MCL36 is also very near the minimum weight level.

Teams will resume their pre-season testing programmes on March 10 in Bahrain, where everyone will regroup for another three days of running.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

25 minutes ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

2 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

3 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

4 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

5 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

6 hours ago