F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Capito: 'Very hard' for Claire Williams to step back from F1

Williams chief executive Jost Capito says Claire Williams knew that steeping back from F1 was the right decision, but it was still a "very hard" one to endure for the former deputy team principle.

Williams had been at the helm of the British outfit since 2013 and oversaw in the years that followed the team's slow decline until its sale in the summer of 2020 to US private equity firm Dorilton Capital.

The daughter of Sir Frank Williams signed off from the team and Formula 1 at the 2020 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, after which Capito was announced as Williams Racing's new CEO in December of that year.

"I think it was very hard for Claire to step back even though she knows it's the right decision," Capito said in Barcelona recently.

"I'm in contact with Claire, and I agreed with her that if she wants to know something, if she wants to be in touch, I'm always reachable, but I think she needs some distance."

In addition to adjusting to a new life away from the fast lane, Claire Williams was also hit hard, as were her brothers Jonathan and Jaime, by the passing her father in November of last year.

"We are on very good terms, and [I want to] give her the freedom she needs to have," added Capito.

"Now, especially with Frank passing away, it's even harder for her, and she needs some time for the family.

"But she knows she can contact me and visit me whenever she wants."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

6 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

7 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

8 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

8 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

10 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

11 hours ago