F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Hulkenberg to race with Aston Martin again in Jeddah

Nico Hulkenberg will race for Aston Martin again this weekend in Saudi Arabia as Sebastian Vettel remains sidelined by Covid-19 for the second race in succession.

Vettel tested positive for Covid last week in Bahrain and subsequently isolated at his home in Switzerland, while Aston called upon Hulkenberg – the team's official reserve driver – to replace the four-time world champion.

The Silverstone-based outfit did not provide any information on Vettel's current status, but the team published a short statement in which it confirmed that Hulkenberg would "practice, qualify and race" for Aston in Jeddah.

The team said that it expected Vettel to be fit for the next round of the 2022 F1 world championship that will take place in Australia on April 10.

In Bahrain last weekend, Hulkenberg outqualified Aston teammate Lance Stroll but the 34-year-old struggled on race day, which wasn't unexpected given his late call-up and his absence from F1 since his one-off with Team Silverstone at the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix.

"After familiarising myself with the AMR22 in Bahrain last weekend, racing in Saudi Arabia will give me the opportunity to develop and further improve my understanding of the car," said the Hulk in Aston's Saudia Arabian GP preview.

"In addition, the work I did back in the simulator earlier this week has given me some extra insight and helped me prepare for this fast and flowing track.

"Obviously, I wish Sebastian a speedy recovery, but I am really looking forward to the challenge and will be doing my best for the whole team this weekend."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

5 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

5 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

7 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago