F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sainz left 'laughing' at rumors of Ferrari contract conflict

Carlos Sainz says rumors of a conflict between Ferrari and himself holding his new deal with the Scuderia left him "laughing at home".

Ferrari announced on Thursday that it had extended Sainz's contract for a fresh two-year period running until the end of 2024.

But earlier this week, a report in Germany contended that the two parties were at odds over the duration of the agreement, with Sainz seeking a straight two-year extension while Ferrari was allegedly only willing to offer a single year and an option.

At Imola on Thursday, ahead of this weekend's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, Sainz set the record straight regarding his dealings with his employer.

"You can imagine how much I was laughing at home when people started writing these things," he said

"Because I had everything pretty much done and we were just waiting for Imola to announce [it]. Funny times, like always in Formula 1, with the gossip and all that."

©Ferrari

Sainz said his negotiations with the House of Maranello followed a "super straightforward" process.

"It's been easy going," he added. "I guess, after such a good first year we had.

"Just getting to agree through the winter was fairly easy for both parties and just now having the opportunity to announce in a place like Imola, in front of the Tifosi, on a weekend like this, it was ideal.

"So, we put together a good plan for the announcement being here."

Sainz began his career in F1 with Toro Rosso in 2015, racing alongside Max Verstappen. The Spaniard's nearly three-year apprenticeship with the Italian outfit was then followed by one season with Renault and two campaigns with McLaren.

The 27-year-old underscored the importance of his latest contract extension which will bring him a peace of mind that will allow him to focus exclusively on his racing.

"It's key," he admitted. "It's no secret recently that not only me, I think you've heard also other drivers saying that it's important on the driver's side to have full mind focus on the performance, on the racing, and not having to focus too much on what the future holds.

"And for me, I have been, since I discovered when I raced for McLaren, I've been very vocal towards this.

"And yeah, honestly, I've been pretty sure all winter that we were gonna secure this, so it's not like I was worried in the first three races [of 2022]. But it always gives you that extra bit of a boost."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

7 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

8 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

9 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

9 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

11 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

12 hours ago