F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel has 'clear intention to keep going', shuts down rumors

Sebastian Vettel confirmed ahead of this weekend's French Grand Prix his "clear intention" of remaining in F1 next season with Aston Martin.

There's recently been speculation around Vettel's F1 future, with the gossip pointing to an exit from the sport at the end of the year on the back of a disappointing season.

But Aston Martin team boss Mike Krack said in Austria that team and driver were holding positive talks that he hoped would come to fruition after F1's summer break.

Vettel echoed Krack's comments.

Read also:

"I'm racing this weekend, and the next one," he told the media in France on Thursday. "Obviously I've said that at some point, we will start to talk. I'm talking to the team.

"I think there's a clear intention to keep going, and we'll see soon where we stand."

But a rumor recently made the rounds, claiming that Vettel had been short-listed by McLaren as a potential replacement for Daniel Ricciardo.

However, Vettel offered a facetious response to the outlandish innuendo.

"I think Lando [Norris] has a contract," he said. "I know some people there, but I think it's just rumours."

As for this weekend's round of racing in Southern France, Vettel is hoping he'll be able to battle further up the midfield than usual at the wheel of his AMR22

"I'm looking forward [to it]," Vettel explained. "We brought an update to Silverstone that we didn't fully get on top of yet, and maybe this weekend will help us to get more answers.

"[It's] exciting and I hope we can be a bit more competitive, to get back in the midfield and therefore get more back in the mix. That would be nice.

"The track's what it is. It's not the most exciting track in the world, but still quite challenging and technically demanding."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

6 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

7 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

7 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

8 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

9 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

11 hours ago