F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Red Bull gives up: No superlicence exemption for Herta!

Red Bull has reportedly given up on its efforts to convince the FIA to grant Colton Herta a superlicence exemption that would have allowed the American to race in F1 with AlphaTauri in 2023.

Red Bull had lobbied motorsport's governing body in the past weeks to try and convince the latter that Herta's credentials in IndyCar warranted a free pass to race in Formula 1.

While several of Red Bull's rivals – namely Ferrari and Mercedes – were against the FIA awarding a dispensation to Herta, a stance also adopted by F1 boss Stefano Domenicali, the governing body said that it would independently consider the young American driver's case and rule on the issue by last weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

But with no decision forthcoming, Red Bull abandoned this week its efforts to field an American driver in F1, much to Helmut Marko's regret.

"It's a shame that people don't realize what value an American driver, especially a guy like Colton Herta, would have for the booming American market, especially with three F1 races," a frustrated Marko told German website Motorsport-Total.

Herta's current superlicence points tally is 32, or 8 points short of the 40 points required to qualify for F1's special licence.

To help his cause with the FIA, the Andretti Autosport driver had been lined up for a private test with Alpine next week in Hungary, along with three other drivers.

But that test for Herta has reportedly also been scrapped.

Timing on the superlicence issue had become tight for Herta, as Andretti Autosport was keen on setting in stone its plans for 2023 in the NTT IndyCar Series.

Waiting on an official ruling by the FIA put Herta at risk of losing his IndyCar drive with AA, with no assurance that he would end up racing for AlphaTauri.

Red Bull's decision to scrap its plan to run Herta in 2023, which deprives F1 and fans of a fascinating rookie gamble, all but confirms Pierre Gasly's seat at AlphaTauri.

However, Motorsport-Total suggests the Frenchman could still move to Alpine if Red Bull can find a suitable replacement for the Frenchman.

If not, Gasly will remain at AlphaTauri for a fourth consecutive season, while Alpine will continue to review its short list of candidates to replace Fernando Alonso at the Enstone squad.

As par of its driver evaluation process, Alpine is scheduled to run in Hungary next week Italian Grand Prix sensation Nyck de Vries, Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi and Alpine Academy member Liam Lawson.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

‘That drives me mad’: Smedley tears into slow F1 race engineers

Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…

4 minutes ago

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

1 hour ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

3 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

4 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

5 hours ago

Ford elaborates on F1’s potential V8 future: ‘We love the idea’

Formula 1’s next great engine debate is no longer happening in whispers behind factory doors.…

6 hours ago