Manor 'way ahead' of 2015 performance - Ryan

Manor racing director Dave Ryan says the team is "way ahead of where we were" in 2015 despite a disjointed pre-season so far.

Manor encountered a few issues over the course of the last two weeks of testing in Barcelona as it put F1 rookies Pascal Wehrlein and Rio Haryanto through their paces. Speaking before more problems which kept Haryanto in the garage on Friday morning, Ryan said he is satisfied with where the team currently stands.

"It would be foolish to start making predictions before Melbourne, but I'm pretty happy with the progress we've made," Ryan said.

"We're certainly a much stronger team than we were last year. From a performance point of view, I think we are way ahead of where we were, which you would expect with partners we've got now and the fact that we've got a new car."

On the subject of partners, and Mercedes in particular, Ryan praised the German manufacturer for its involvement and diligence.

"Mercedes have been fantastic. They are very professional organisation, there's nothing we've asked for that they haven't been able to help us with. As a partner, I don't think there's anyone better for us in the paddock."

Ryan's recruitment was evidently a welcomed asset for the minnow outfit, but for such an experienced man who worked at the pinnacle of the sport as McLaren's sporting director during its glory days, Ryan appeared somewhat over qualified for the task.

A comparison between his former employer and the current one, while unfair, is inevitable.

"It's completely different, but in a nice way," Ryan acknowledged. "There's no one in the garage whose got an ego, everyone in there has got a job to do. They will know that if that don't do the role they are supposed to do, then someone will have to cover for them.

"So it's a great situation really, it's good. It's really nice."

Follow live coverage and timing from pre-season testing here

GALLERY: Pre-season testing

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

2 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

3 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

19 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

20 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

21 hours ago